Thursday, January 10, 2013

The best apartment in Manhattan

My elevator does not have a 13th floor. The elevator skips straight from the 14th to the 12th. It doesn't stop on the third floor either, but there's ample time between the fourth and the second so I'm guessing that there is one, I just can't access it from my elevator. Every time I use it, I feel like I'm in an old-fashioned movie where the 13th floor is bad luck.

I had groceries delivered to my door last night. I ordered them online and had them delivered to my building. Oh the convenience of the big city! My doorman signed for my delivery and brought it up to my door, so I don't even have to deal with the delivery person.

Speaking of doormen, have I mentioned how much I adore mine? Of course there was my friend who helped me out last Friday night, but there are several more. This morning as I was leaving, the morning doorman, Tom, opened the door for me and told me, "goodbye princess! I hope you have a beautiful day." I grinned. See, there's a story behind that. Growing up, my dad would call me and my sisters princesses. At work, I have five bosses (it's kind of a fun set up). They often tease me about being a princess because my parents are so worried about me being here in New York. So when Tom called me princess this morning, I was reminded of all these things that make me happy. I had to run back to my apartment for lunch, and I saw Tom again. He said, "Oh! I get to see you twice in one day!" I laughed and informed him it would soon be three times, as I was coming right back down. When I did, and I was leaving the building, he put his hand over his heart and said, "goodbye my love!" No worries, it's not anything awkward. It's just, well, princess-like treatment. I think we're going to be friends.

There are 37 floors, give or take the missing 13th. Still, the residents are kind to one another. I struck up a genuine conversation with a couple when I came home from work. They have lived in their apartment for 37 years! Yes, I know that's the same number as there are floors. But that's unimportant. Can you imagine living in an apartment for that long? In Utah, it's normal to live in an apartment when you go to college, and then for a little while after you get married, but most people go on to buy houses. Here, it's completely normal to live in apartments and pay rent for the rest of their lives. But they said they were happy to live there. They asked where I lived and how long I'd been here. They were excited for me and assured me I would love it here.

Yes, yes I will.

2 comments:

  1. You are adorable. And I love seeing NYC through your fresh eyes :D And I'm sure you brighten every old-time jaded New Yorker's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CHELSEA! This sounds soo awesome and exciting!! I'm beyond excited for you and I seriously miss you. I wish to see you again sometime. :) How long do you plan to be in New York for? p.s. hotels never have 13th floors cuz too many people they accommodate are superstitious. hah I love your doorman and I don't even know him. haha Good luck with everything Chelsita!

    ReplyDelete