Friday, January 18, 2013

And I say to myself, what an insanely big world

Anyone who knows me knows that I love politics. Not domestic politics so much, but the international stuff is so interesting! I love knowing what's going on in the world. So you can imagine just how excited when I visited the UN yesterday. As in the United Nations. As in the place where important people meet everyday to try to change the world. Whether or not it's completely effective is debatable, but still. The UN is an amazing place to be! First we (being me and Sarah, the other intern) went to get our grounds passes. That isn't exactly an easy process. You have to have a letter of recommendation, a form, an organization, and a dang good reason to be there. But we checked out and were given passes which expire in December. Then we walked across the street to the UN. It's HUGE. There are areas visitors can go, but people with passes get to go to more exciting areas. Like the United Nations Security Council room.


Okay, so maybe that doesn't look terribly exciting. But go google image "United Nations New York." There's like two pictures of the room I was in! Yes, I know just how impressive that is. You have a friend/family member who was in that room! What, you're not impressed? Well, I was excited. No worries, Sarah teased me so you don't have to. We got there right after the delegates left. Lucky and unlucky, I suppose. I wouldn't have been able to go in the middle if they had been there, but I might have seen someone cool! As in someone famous. Politically famous. So maybe "cool" isn't the right term. But hey, a celebrity is a celebrity.

Then we went to the General Assembly Hall. None of you care, but I thought it was interesting that it was the largest room in the UN. Sarah said it reminded her of the meeting room of the Republic in Star Wars. You know, I can kind of see it.


After that we went to a building that was insanely restricted and insanely boring. Apparently it's where all the other important meetings happen, but there was nothing going on so I didn't waste time taking pictures. Sorry y'all, but you'll have to live.

I also met my first Ambassador! Earlier that day, we went to the Botswanian Mission (they call them missions here, not embassies). His official title is Ambassador Charles T. Ntwaagae, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Botswana. Try saying that ten times fast! If you can pronounce his last name, that is. He himself ushered us into his office (definitely not the normal treatment - we were honored!). He is very knowledgeable about the history of the UN and of American history, and probably knows more than most Americans. I found out that the moment I stepped into the Botswanian Mission I was technically on Botswanian soil. Now I can say I've been to Botswana! Speaking of which, the UN is international territory, not American. So while I was there, I was really . . . somewhere. Everywhere? Nowhere? Anyway, the Ambassador was very gracious, enjoyed talking, and was willing to take pictures with us!


Afterward, we took pictures outside with the sign. Perhaps we're a little picture happy, but when else do you get to take pictures with fake zebras? (Lee Ferrin, that is for you.)


That night we went to a screening of several short films for the Athena Global Shorts Event, by invitation only. There was a guard with a gun at the front, and we had to give our names to the receptionist and show our ID. Then we went through what could be compared to airport security. We had to take off our coats and any metal we had, then go through a metal detector. We got to keep our shoes, though. It would probably be a little awkward to know the diplomats you're meeting with have smelly feet. The movies were interesting, loosely based on the oppression of women across the world. I didn't take any pictures of that event (it just didn't seem appropriate). When we got up to leave, a woman came up to me and thought I was a member of the Women's Organization because I was dressed so well. I was flattered. Thank you, Mom, for insisting I get the suit!

Awesome day? Yes. I met an important person, went to important places, and pretended I was important too. It'll happen someday. Watch out, UN. You haven't seen the last of me!

1 comment:

  1. You look so profesh, Chels :D Glad to know an important person ;)

    ReplyDelete