Tuesday, January 8, 2013

People is people

It doesn't matter where you go, there's always someone willing to help you out. Like in California when we locked our keys in our rental car and my dad couldn't come pick us up until his work was done. A guy on the beach adopted my entire family and took us to his favorite restaurant. I've been lost in Paris with my mother, and a complete stranger came up to us and asked if we needed directions. And now, in New York, I find that the tradition continues.

When I arrived in New York, I went to my apartment and asked the doorman for my key. He found the key but no new resident paper. Unfortunately, he couldn't let me in without it. It was after eleven on a Friday night, and I was exhausted from a long day of traveling. So I looked at him and asked, "what can I do?" He looked at me a moment, as if he couldn't believe I was being polite about the whole thing. He said, "wait a second" and called the guy who supervised him. The other guy claimed I would need to submit a form and they would get back to me on Monday morning. My favorite doorman wasn't going for it. "What, do you want her to wait here for two days? She's just sitting here, and she asked me what she can do! I can't just tell her to leave!" After a fair bit of arguing, he got off the phone and told me the other guy wasn't going to let me in.

I have to tell you, I wanted to cry. I was in New York. I literally knew no one. And although I knew I would be able to find a hotel or something, that was an added stress I really didn't want to deal with. So I said, "let me make some calls." And who did I call? My daddy. Because he can fix everything. Within a minute the phone of the doorman was ringing, and the person who subletted my apartment to me was on the line. She argued that she had submitted the form days ago, and it wasn't her fault no one had brought it to him. So my guy made another call to the super unhelpful guy and made a case for me you wouldn't believe. "Can't you just open your email for two minutes? The form is there! Of course it isn't a scam. I have caller ID, and it says it's coming from her! It's right here on the computer, you can check. This girl will be homeless if she can't get in! You won't? You're gonna make me the bad guy? Well, that's not right and you know it! Wait, what's her name again? Okay. I'll call her." Another call was made, and I had my apartment key.

Moral of the story: I have an awesome doorman. I have an awesome father. If you're polite about it people are more willing to do what you want. And last of all, I'm going make it here. I'm going to survive. Because I have the world on my side.


This is part of the view from my window.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you foumd a place near to where you needed. Beats Harlem no question. That is my old neighborhood I lived on West End Ave. Enjoy see as much as you can there is a lot. I don't know if it still exists but on about 68 and B'way there was a place called Ollies Noodle they had a couple of locations but the one on 68th had the coolest dinning room. It was kinda like a stadium seating dinning room and you had to go thru an enclosed public area to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to say Ollies on Broadway is no more! There was a fire in the building so they had to move. Ollies moved to a new location somewhere further west, but it's a little inconvenient to get there so they'll probably lose lots of customers.

      Delete