Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Constant happiness

Friday, I flew into New York. I didn't know anyone, I had never been to the city, I hadn't even seen my apartment.

On Sunday, I went to church. Do you have any idea how comforting the institutions of the can be? It doesn't matter where you go, they will always be the same. I've learned this before, but I had never realized just how much I depend on the relationships we have in church. The girls in the elevator realized they didn't know me and, in the time period between the first and third floor, I had been introduced to all of them and been assured that they were there if I needed any help adjusting. The bishop came up to me right after Sacrament Meeting ended to introduce himself and make sure I was invited to the new member's meeting. The relief society president came to the meeting, asked questions about me, and actually cared. I met people at church who I'm excited to see again. God is always there, and I trust my relationship with Him. But sometimes, it's really nice to have mortal confirmation that I exist and that I'm important.

Today, I went to work and was greeted by name by six people I just met and already trust. We had a meeting for several hours. We went out to lunch and talked on subjects from the new Les Misérables movie to the Arab Spring. The director knows my name and teases me and Sarah, the other intern. I went home thinking, wow, that went fast! And I can't wait until tomorrow!

That, my friends, is living.

No comments:

Post a Comment