Saturday, June 8, 2013

Poem

She slept while dreaming of the world
She left behind some time ago
And thought her heart would break again
From weakness to internal foes
She put her heart into a letter
Sent it off, no looking back
She faced the day of her defeat
And cried at the same time she laughed

Wake up from your dreams now, sweetie
You've got a grown-up life to lead
We'd all like to live in dreamland
Reality's not all we hoped it would be
Problems which won't wait forever
Are calling you back down to me
When it all seems dark, just remember
The real world's deeper than you can dream

Life continued as it should have
Most her dreams are different now
She aches a little at reminders
She had the light and took her bow
All her life she'll remember
What she loved and what she lost
Though her life can seem so bitter
She thinks it all was worth the cost

Wake up from your dreams now, sweetie
You've got a grown-up life to lead
We'd all like to live in dreamland
Reality's not all we hoped it would be
Problems which won't wait forever
Are calling you back down to me
When it all seems dark, just remember
The real world's deeper than you can dream


I showed this to my dad and he said, "I have no idea what it's about, but it seems deep." Haha. Thanks Dad. I wrote this poem at two in the morning when I couldn't sleep. So feel free to critique (or speculate, whatever). But really, I'm curious. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Its sad. but seems to me you think your dreams are over and now you need to settle. bit i say live in dreamland and figure out how to get back to new york jusr sayin lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Becky! No worries there, I'm definitely planning to go back! Love the interpretation though.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of this quote by Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do." You just have figure out how to bring a bit of the dreamland back into reality...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABCB - it's like a song! You should definitely write more poems, sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, I think it's a happy poem. To me, it seems like you're saying that the real world is even better than our dreams. Now that you've grown up and experienced the world, you realize that you don't have to dream to find joy.

    ReplyDelete